The statement from the state of Michigan's Code of ethics that I chose to talk about is diversity: "Professional educators promote cross-cultural awareness by honoring and valuing individual differences and supporting the strengths of all individuals to ensure that instruction reflects the realities and diversity of the world." I believe this is important when becoming a teacher. You are going to be placed in a classroom with all types of children. Knowing where they come from can help you out wen teaching them.
I believe that all children should get a chance to be in a diverse setting. Whether it be in a classroom, the lunchroom, or the play ground, all children should get that experience. The real world is not all white, or african american, or asian, so why should schools be? Children need to experience it while their young because that's how it's going to be for the rest of their lives.
Doing Service Learning in an urban school is one thing I am doing at MSU to prepare me for my future work field. Being in an urban school setting is much different than what I experienced as a child. Having these children being around these different races is helping them in the long run, and I wish I would've had that opportunity as a child. Being involved in the UECP is also preparing me for my future work field. Through this program, I'll be able to see what urban schools are all about and how I, as a future teacher, will be able to learn from these teachers and students. Also, being a student at MSU and being involved in the Evans Scholar Program is also helping me prepare for my future work field. Living in a house with 58 other people, it is a diverse setting. Learning from these people who have different backgrounds and ethnicities is going to make me a better teacher. Being able to understand how they do things differently and learn differently will also help me.
Source:
"Michigan Professional Educator's Code of Ethics." Michigan Department of Education. N.p., 03 Dec. 2003. Web. 2 Oct. 2012. <http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Code_of_Ethics_Layout_128009_7.pdf>.
No comments:
Post a Comment