I can't wait to have my own classroom. Teaching students is exactly what I want to do. I know I'm exactly where I need to be. On friday, I was placed in a resource room at an urban school in East Lansing. In this room were students from several different classes, 4th grade to 6th grade. In this particular school, recent cuts had been made on teachers, leaving the resource room with only one teacher. I have never had a teacher be so excited to have help come through her door. Her face lit up when I came to help her and her students. She immediately got me busy helping a student read and answer comprehension questions. At first he was shy, but when the class came together and introduced themselves to me, his real personality really came through.
The entire time I was working there, I would get questions like, "When are you coming back?" "Will you be here the whole year?" "Can you help teach us every day?" These questions filled me with happiness and also surprise. These students need a role model, someone to look up to, and they need stability. After assuring them that I would be back every friday until the second week of December, they continued with questions of, "Can you stay the whole year?" After quickly thinking about it, I told them it was extremely likely. Having those students be that excited about learning from me, made me realize that this is what I wanted to do for the entire year and for many, many years to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment