Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Words For a Teacher

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
     Most kids are hands-on learners when they are young.  To know something is soft, they need to touch it;  To know that a rock is heavy, they need to hold it.  Kids learn this way, until they are exposed to new strategies in school, and even sometimes after that, they are still hands-on learners.  I know personally I am a hands-on learner.  If you tell me a fish feels scaly, I want to find that out by touching it.  These hands-on experiences are what is going to help a child grow.  
     From personal experience, if you tell me something, I'm not going to remember it, especially if I don't understand what I'm being told.  If you teach me the concept, I may remember it for a week or two, but that's all.  If we do an activity involving that concept, chances are I'm going to remember what the concept was long after a week or two.  Kids in school need to learn this way.  They'll be able to visually see what they are being taught and have a better chance of remembering things.

Source:
Lisa. "21 Inspirational Teacher Quotes – SimpleK12." I Love EdTech. SimpleK12, 10 Feb. 2012. Web. 30 Oct. 2012. <http://blog.simplek12.com/education/21-inspirational-teacher-quotes/>.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment